Friday, January 10, 2014

The Brutishly Bald Simon Russell Beale


Simon Russell Beale rehearsing for King Lear
Simon Russell Beale
Writer Jasper Rees headlines his article with Simon Russell Beale interview: Why I shaved my head for Lear.  Since I started to shave my head a handful of months ago, I was curious about the why:
Nowadays, with a full white beard and cropped silver hair, he looks comfortably grizzled enough to be handing over his kingdom to his progeny. 
The crop was [Director Sam] Mendes’s request. “The two nasty characters I’ve done with Sam – Richard III and Iago – for both of them I shaved my head. The first thing he said to me as Lear was, 'Can you shave your head because it makes you feel more of a brute?’”
Simon Russell Beale, as Falstaff in Henry IV, Part 1 and Part 2
Beale was terrific as the avoirdupois in the two Henry IV plays, Mendes among the producers of The Hollow Crown.  Clearly hirsuteness better suited his characterization of Falstaff.

a selfie, onboard a flight from Chicago to London, recently
As for me, the reasons why I shaved my head are positively plebeian.  I wanted to save money, and avoid inconvenient trips and waits at Great Clips.  Besides, I am bald on top anyway.  In any event, I don't imagine that a King Lear role is in the offing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment