Friday, September 20, 2013

"Where the Bee Sucks," There Sucks Ariel



Where the bee sucks, there suck I:
In a cowslip’s bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat’s back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.
Where the Bee Sucks, There Suck I is a poem by William Shakespeare, sung by Ariel in Act V, scene i  of "The Tempest."

(image credit)
A very lovely performance by Amy Koop and Michael Mikulin, wonderfully arranged by Mikulin, in this audio recording:  Where the Bee Sucks (There Suck I):
This song from The Tempest is sung by Ariel, a sprite who is in the service of the sorcerer Prospero. Prospero decides to renounce his magical powers (“I’ll drown my book”). Ariel sings this song while helping to attire Prospero, as the sorcerer removes his wizarding robes and dresses in his city clothes, in preparation for leaving his magical powers behind. The song lyrics reflect Ariel’s anticipation of gaining freedom from service and being returned to the natural world.

No comments:

Post a Comment