Monday, September 16, 2013

Forlorn "Willow Song" of Desdemona


The poor soul sat sighing
By a sycamore tree,
Sing willow, willow, willow,
Wth his hand in his bosom
And his head upon his knee,
Oh, willow, willow, willow,
Shall be my garland.
Sing all a green willow,
Aye me, the green willow
Must be my garland. 
He sighed in his singing
And made a great moan,
Sing...
I am dead to all pleasure,
My true love he is gone, etc.
The mute bird sat by him
Was made tame by his moans, etc.
The true tears fell from him
Would have melted the stones.
Sing... 
Come all you forsaken
And mourn you wth me.
Who speaks of a false love?
Mine's falser than she.
Sing...
Let Love no more boast her
In palace nor bower;
It buds but it blasteth
Ere it be a flower.
Sing... 
Thou fair and more false,
I die with thy wound.
Thou hast lost thy truest lover
That goes upon the ground.
Sing...
Let nobody chide her,
Her scorns I approve.
She was born to be false
And I to die for love.
Sing... 
Take this for my farewell
And latest adieu;
Write this on my tomb
That in love I was true.
Sing...
"The Willow Song" is a song William Shakespeare wove into his play "Othello" (Act IV, scene iii).
As Desdemona [wife of Othello] is preparing for bed the night she will be murdered, she starts singing a song about willow trees. This song, supposedly sung originally by one of Desdemona's mother's servants who loved a crazy guy, reflects Desdemona's own situation. She herself is worried that the man she married has gone crazy and will desert her. Willows at the edge of water are a traditional symbol of women deserted by their lovers.
Reference:  The Willow Song.
Desdemona describes her source of the song to Emilia while dressing:
My mother had a maid call’d Barbary;
She was in love, and he she lov’d prov’d mad,
And did forsake her. She had a song of “Willow,”
And old thing ’twas, but it express’d her fortune,
And she died singing it. That song tonight
Will not go from my mind, I have much to do
But to go hang my head all at one side
And sing it like poor Barbary.
Reference:  The Willow Song.

Othello smothered Desdemona to death - not merely deserted - out of a horribly, but wrongfully, implanted belief by Iago that she was unfaithful to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment