Monday, January 5, 2015

Peter Knight Composes for Shakespeare


CD Artwork for Cobweb, Moth and Mustardseed
When I first became involved in the project, I knew nothing about Shakespeare, or the music of the time. I thought the first thing I ought to do was to walk around the woods near to the cottage, and actually see the place. As soon as I walked through the archway, I had a sense that the woods had a memory. This was where Anne and Shakespeare would have walked. That was really what inspired the music.

I didn’t want to emulate the music of the time – I wanted to give a modern interpretation of Shakespeare the man. At the end of the day, Shakespeare and Anne were ordinary people, people in love – we hope! I hope the music reflects that timeless relationship and their time spent together walking in the wood. The music includes extracts from the sonnets, from A Midsummer Night’s Dream and As You Like It. You’re surrounded by dreams and whispers as you follow the trail through the trees.
Reference: Music Inspired by Shakespeare: Cobweb, Moth and Mustardseed [Interview with Peter Knight].

I love the lyricism with which Knight speaks to his Shakespearean inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment