Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What I Love about Shakespeare: Poetry


I was a student at Northwestern University in the late 1970s, and disco was at its peak.  I loved what Alec R. Costandinos did: an uptempo rendition of Romeo and Juliet, as only that era could produce.  Much of the album was disco instrumental, but I found myself particularly drawn to two passages.  I searched our student bookstore for the play, and learned that these passages were exactly the opening sonnets for Act I and Act II.  I bought the plays, I enrolled in Shakespeare, and the rest is history.  It's been an enduring love affair since.

This week I talk about the three main things I find so compelling about Shakespeare.

mystery

In What poetry is... to me, I mentioned three things: music, brevity and mystery.  Shakespeare adds a fourth: form and meter.  I cut my teeth on iambic pentameter from him.  I have a bent toward poetic thought and spirit, so his plays spoke to me because it was poetry.  The hundreds of poems I have written now are predominantly in metered poetry, and I taught myself how to write in a range of forms:  from the Shakespearean (English) sonnet as a springboard, to the Petrarchan (Italian) sonnet, to the villanelle and sestina, and even ballade.

No comments:

Post a Comment