Friday, August 8, 2014

Immersive Experience for `Macbeth Audience







I am even more enthralled and curious about this production, after watching these interview clips of Kenneth Branagh.  The notion of an immersive experience for the audience gives me ideas about how I might stage Shakespeare, well down the road of course.  Elsewhere some attendees bemoaned the small, uncomfortable theater of the Amory, and complained about not being about to use the washroom, even after the play, as everyone was shuffled out the door.  But now I see that this was somehow all part of the experience.  This is where I might do it differently and do it better.

Also, I had this insight, as I wrote about this production.  It ran from May 31st to June 22nd in New York City, so I missed it entirely.  But watching these clips, reading about it, and scanning others' comments, I forge a vicarious experience.  I can feel the rain and mud, hear the clash of swords, and altogether imagine that immersion.  Years ago, Karen and I watched this play on stage on DePaul University in Chicago, and what I remember most was the stirring drumbeat, as Macbeth approached his tragic end.  I can still feel that drumbeat in my chest, as I recollect it now.  The internet brings a host of things that some may dismiss as secondary, relative to what we might see in person.  But I can tell you that these things, and the experiences we have, are real indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment