Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Russell Beale Does the Sonnets


Simon Russell Beale

Once you have memorised your favourite though, take your cue from Russell Beale for the reading itself. In a recent Guardian webchat, the actor offered his advice on good diction: "I think clarity is as much to do with intention as anything else. You must really want to talk to people in the back row and if you really want to, you will." The actor added: "Easier said than done, though."
Image credit and reference: Simon Russell Beale leads complete Shakespeare sonnets readathon.

I credit the New York Shakespeare Exchange for turning me onto to the Bard's sonnets and illuminating many of them in ways I would've never imagined.  I have many things on my plate right now, but in the future I'd like to give these sonnets a go at reciting.  In any case, if I were in London, I'd join Russell Beale & Co. for their June 1st readathon at the Southbank Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment