Monday, April 14, 2014

Sonnet 139, by NY Shakespeare Exchange



O! call not me to justify the wrong
That thy unkindness lays upon my heart;
Wound me not with thine eye, but with thy tongue:
Use power with power, and slay me not by art,
Tell me thou lov'st elsewhere; but in my sight,
Dear heart, forbear to glance thine eye aside:
What need'st thou wound with cunning, when thy might
Is more than my o'erpressed defence can bide?
Let me excuse thee: ah! my love well knows
Her pretty looks have been mine enemies;
And therefore from my face she turns my foes,
That they elsewhere might dart their injuries:
     Yet do not so; but since I am near slain,
     Kill me outright with looks, and rid my pain.
Sonnet 139, from The Sonnet Project, by the New York Shakespeare Exchange.

It's a brilliant capture of the agonizing, ambivalent nature of Romantic love.  The speaker would prefer to be rejected with words, rather than outright with looks.  But in the end we can imagine him or her finding means to meet the lover one last time and demanding to finish off the rejection, straightaway face-to-face.  Drawing on kinetic poetry is also a brilliant move by the Shakespeare Exchange, as it portrays perfectly the theme of the sonnet (i.e., words, not looks).  Actress Lauren Sowa stumbles upon the letter, and the kinetic poetry conveys the emotion behind the words rather well.

No comments:

Post a Comment